Установите соответствие между заголовками А—G и текстами 1—6. Используйте каждую букву только один раз. В задании есть один лишний заголовок.
A. Future Rescuers
B. Origin of the Superstition
C. Significant Difference
D. Oldest Creatures
F. Distress Call
G. Visible Obstacle
1. People in China and other Asian communities joined the global celebration of this millennium. On February 5, many people welcome the first day of the Year of the Dragon. The 15-day Chinese New Year festival marks the beginning of a new year and a new life. This Chinese Year is year number 4698.
2. The term «Mayday» is an internationally recognized radio signal which is only used when a ship is in great danger and needs help immediately. The signal is transmitted on a wavelength of 2.182 kHz, which is permanently monitored by rescue services on the shore. The use of this expression has a very straightforward explanation. It came from the French phrase «m’aidez», which means «help me».
3. In 1700, Henri Misson, a Frenchman visiting Britain asked villagers why they had horseshoes nailed above their doors. They said ‘it was to keep witches away. Horseshoes are made of iron and the strength of the iron was thought to protect from evil. Still today they are thought to bring good luck and many brides carry silver ones at their weddings. The position of the horseshoe is very important. It must point upwards like a cup so that the luck cannot fall out.
4. Women generally live about six years longer than men. Evidence suggests that boys are the weaker sex at birth, which means that more die in infancy. Also women do not have as much heart disease as men. In terms of lifestyle, men smoke more than women and thus more die of smoking- related diseases. Also, they generally have more dangerous occupations, such as building work.
5. Scientists say that rats can help to look for earthquake survivors buried in the ruined buildings. Dogs are already used to search for people, but rats can be even more useful. Like dogs they’ve got a great sense of smell, but scientists still need to train rats to sniff out people and to carry special radio transmitters to let them know when the survivor is found. Rats may also be trained to find bombs or explosives.
- Dinosaurs roared for about 150 million years before they disappeared. We humans have only been around for about 2 million years. But cockroaches are 350 million years old and still going strong! Cockroaches can survive in extreme conditions. They can be frozen, then thawed, and walk away as if nothing had happened. They can go for incredibly long time without eating anything. And that is the secret of their success!