I. Прочитайте текст и ответьте на вопросы.
At a school examination the teacher handed out the question papers to all the children, looked at her watch and said that they were to finish their work in an hour. The children read the question papers and started writing the answers. At ten o’clock the teacher collected the papers and saw that one of the children hadn’t written anything and was still reading his question paper. «Is any question troubling you?» the teacher asked. «Not at all,» he answered, «it’s the answers that are troubling me.»
1 . What time did the written examination begin?
2. Why didn’t the pupil write anything?
II. Поставьте вопрос к подчеркнутому члену предложения.
At ten o’clock the teacher collected the papers.
III. Раскройте скобки, употребив правильную глагольную форму.
Isaac Newton so much (1 — interest) in different problems that he (2 — become) quite absent-minded. One day a gentleman (3 — come) to see him, but he (4 — tell) that Sir Isaac Newton (5 — be) busy in his study and that nobody (6 — allow) to disturb him.
As it (7 — be) dinner time, the visitor (8 — sit) down in the dinning room (9 — wait) for the scientist. The servant (10 — come) in and (11 — place) on the table a (12 — boil) chicken under a cover. An hour (13 — pass) but Newton not (14 — appear). The gentleman (15 — feel) hungry, (16 — eat) the chicken, and (17 — cover) up the skeleton. He (18 — ask) the servant to prepare another one for his master.
Before the second chicken (19 — cook), however, the scientist (20 — enter) the room and (21 — apologize) for his delay. Then he (22 — add), «As I (23 — feel) rather tired and hungry, I (24 -hope) you (25 — excuse) me a little longer, while I (26 — take) my dinner, and then I (27 — be) at your service.» With these words he (28 — lift) the cover, and without emotion (29 — turn) round to the gentleman and (3*0 — say), «See how strange scientists (31 — be). 1 quite (32 — forget) that I (33 — dine) already.»
At this moment the servant (34 — bring) in the other chicken. The visitor (35 — explain) how matters (36 — stand). After he (37 — laugh) heartily, the hungry scientist (38 — sit) down and (39 — eat) his dinner.
IV. Выберите правильный вариант.
1. I want to tell you … interesting.
a) some, b) something, c) somebody, d) somewhere.
2. … postman comes every morning.
a) — , b) a, c) an, d) the.
3. Mike is a careless driver, he drives … than you.
a) good, b) better, c) bad, d) worse.
4. Look … the window. Is it raining outside?
a) at, b) to, c) out of, d) through.
5. You … leave earlier today if you want.
a) may, b) must, c) have to, d) should.
6. Sam had to take his exam one more time, … he?
a) had, b) hadn’t, c) did, d) didn’t.
7. In the sitting room there … a table, four chairs, a TV set and a sofa.
a) is, b) are, c) has, d) have.
8. How many … pages must I translate?
a) yet, b) still, c) more, d) other.
9. I watch the news … on TV at 9 o’clock regularly.
a) showing, b) shown, c) showed, d) having shown.
10. He didn’t expect… such a question.
a) to ask, b) asking, c) to be asked, d) being asked.
11. She … in the library the whole evening yesterday.
a) works, b) is working, c) has worked, d) was working.
12. We shall go to the country if the weather … fine.
a) is, b) was, c) will be, d) has been.
13.1 hope they … my telegram by tomorrow morning.
a) receive, b) will receive, c) have received, d) wilt have received.
14. She … before Mother came back.
a) left, b) has left, c) had left, d) was left.
15. He … to tell the truth.
a) asked, b) asks, c) was asking, d) was asked.
16. Where … you … this weekend?
a) have … spent, b) did … spend, c) was … spent, d) is … spent.
17. I wonder what time … now.
a) it is, b) it was, c) it has been, d) is it.
18. John said he never … the film before.
a) saw, b) has seen, c) had seen, d) has been seen.
19. She … wonderful today.
a) looks, b) is looked, c) was looking, d) looked.
20. What would you do if you … me?
a) are, b) were, c) have been, d) will be.
V. Переведите на английский язык.
1. Они живут совсем близко.
2. Мы узнали, что они женаты уже три года.
3. Эти туфли немного отличаются от моих.
4. После лекции было много вопросов.
5. — Я возьму рыбу на второе. — Я тоже.
VI. Выберите правильный ответ.
1. The London Royal Opera House is called … .
a) Covent Garden, b) the National Theatre, c) «Old Vic» Theatre, d) the Barbican.
2. The traditional English drink is … .
a) coffee, b) tea, c) cocoa, d) milk.
3. The symbol of the US is … .
a) Union Jack, b) Uncle Sam, c) Big Ben, d) Pall Mall.
4. The Colorado is ….
a) in Africa, b) in North America, c) in South America, d) in Brazil.
5. New England is … .
a) a separate country, b) part of Great Britain, c) part of the US, d) an island.